So May is a very exciting month for my family because my youngest brother and my mom have their birthdays literally one right after the other. Naturally, the atmosphere is very festive and there are ridiculous amounts of cake even by my own inflated standards of what is acceptable.
And in honor of my sweet youngest brother’s birthday, I thought I would dedicate a blog post to his favorite thing on God’s green earth: Star Wars Episode VI The Force Awakens.
Most bloggers have already gotten it out of their system but I haven’t!
I absolutely loved it. Could have cried with happiness to see some decent screenwriting for the first time since the seventies (that should definitely be interpreted as a slap against the horrible prequel trilogy. When Ewan McGregor can’t save your film you know it’s beyond saving.) But J.J. Abrams does not disappoint and the film is so well done from start to finish.
I would add that there will be SPOILERS past this point but honestly if you haven’t seen the film by now what are you doing with your life? Time to re-examine your priorities.
Anyways, to keep this thing easy to read and reignite some passionate controversy among fans I’m going to list reasons why I think Rey and Kylo Ren are siblings and NOT in fact cousins, which I hear a lot of people say.
- Luke Skywalker is a Jedi and super in tune with the force. What part of that screams “has a baby mama” to people?
- Luke does not strike me as the type of guy to go back on his Jedi vows/code. He was only willing to die rather than turn to the dark side and when they find him he is living as a solitary hermit…
- Maz asks Han what’s the deal with the girl and then the film cuts to a different scene before he answers
- Han acts as a father figure to Rey
- It makes logical sense to me that if Kylo Ren had gone bad Han and Leia would have hidden the existence of their other child in order to protect her
- The Millenium Falcon was on the planet where Rey had lived her whole life
- Leia and Rey share force sensitivity and have a moment when Rey sort of wordlessly informs Leia of Han’s death
- Rey and Kylo Ren are well matched in terms of force ability.
- It would be soooo much better for future storylines
So maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. I suppose only time will tell.
But now that this silly tribute is at an end, wishing the happiest of birthdays to the franchise’s biggest fan who turns SIXTEEN today! Too bad we have to wait until December for the next one…